The programme: Setting the roadmap for Africa in the Picture can be found at the List of Workshops and Symposia under WJ01.
Africa in the Picture
Biodiversity_Next pays special attention to capacity-building, exposure and extending the network of organisations which collect, manage and disseminate biodiversity data and information in Africa. The Tracks Science-Standards-Infrastructures cover the overall spectrum of needs of the global community working in biodiversity informatics (or IT information technology). The track Policy & International Coordination connects policymakers, NGO’s and corporations which make and influence decisions that are crucial to preserving biodiversity in Africa.
JRS Biodiversity Foundation is pleased to support conference participation from Africa as well as special events to highlight and integrate African interests in biodiversity data information systems.
The JRS Biodiversity Foundation-supported conference participation grant enables 15 biodiversity professionals from the African continent to attend the first Biodiversity_Next (pre-)Conference on bio- and geodiversity data and the Africa In The Picture-events in Leiden, the Netherlands, covering travel, hotel and registration fee.
Out of almost 300 submissions, 15 grantees have been selected representing organisations from Benin, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Rwanda, and South Africa.
Organisers/facilitators of the Africa In The Picture program:
Jean Ganglo Cossi (Professor of Forest Sciences, University of Abomey-Calavi) and Esther Kioko (Senior Research Scientist, Zoology Department, National Museums of Kenya/one of the grantees).
Biodiversity_Next offers Africa in the Picture-events throughout the conference including:
- Pre-Conference: Monday 21th of October 9.00-17.00: The 15 grantees will attend pre-conference workshop WS61 Biodiversity informatics 101: Preparing for Biodiversity_Next and Beyond
- Science/Megasymposium SS73 Biodiversity Informatics: Perspectives from the Global South Thursday 24th Oct
- 11.00-1230: Global South issues and challenges
- 13.30-15.00: Case studies from the Global South and the way forward to building a global biodiversity information alliance
- Working session “Africa In The Picture”: African Interest Group – about Biodiversity data strategy for Africa. Thursday 24th of October 15.30-17.00 Followed by a network drink
- Science Symposium SS48: Strengthening the biodiversity informatics community of practice through capacity enhancement Friday 25th Oct.
The Africa in the Picture-events and travel grant are supported by JRS Biodiversity Foundation.
If you have any questions, let us know.
We are looking forward to your participation at the Conference!
On behalf of the Local Organizing Committee of Biodiversity_Next,
Africa Coordinator Biodiversity_Next Conference